Want dinner over easy? Start with eggs. They're high in protein, and cook in a jiffy--so you don't spend more than a few minutes over a hot stove. Whip up a three-minute omelet with freshly snipped herbs, make egg salad spectacular with a tarragon ravigote sauce, or pair eggs with grilled or lightly sauteed greens, for a simple but lovely meal. Try these fast, over-easy summer dinners; and for hundreds more recipes like these, get The Healthy Gourmet: Inspired Eats app!
Grilled Escarole with Soft-Poached Eggs*
2 small heads escarole
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white vinegar
4 large eggs
1/2 cup shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano
1. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Cut escarole heads into quarters lengthwise, cutting through core but leaving core attached to leaves.
2. In a small bowl, combine olive oil with garlic, pepper, and salt. Lightly coat outsides of escarole with oil mixture. Grill, turning once or twice, until wilted and grill marks appear, 4–7 minutes. (If broiling, cook for 4–5 minutes per side, until edges are lightly browned and greens are tender.)
3. While greens are cooking, combine 3 inches of water and the vinegar in a large sauté pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer, so the surface just shimmers. Crack one egg into a cup and gently lower into water. Use a spoon to “corral” whites around yolk. Cook for 3–4 minutes, until just set but still soft. Remove with a slotted spoon. (If you have a large pan, cook all four eggs at once; just be sure not to crowd.)
4. To serve, arrange two escarole segments on each plate. Place one egg on top of greens. Sprinkle liberally with pepper and lightly with salt. Scatter cheese over greens, and serve hot.
Egg Salad with Tarragon Ravigote*
5 hard-cooked eggs, divided
1/4 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon minced shallot
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon capers, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh minced flat-leaf parsley
8 slices rustic bread
2 cups arugula leaves
1 tomato, thinly sliced
1. Peel and coarsely chop four hard-cooked eggs and place in a medium bowl; stir in red onion. Set aside.
2. Crumble remaining egg into a small food processor. Stir in shallot, mustard, capers, tarragon, and vinegar; process until finely chopped and a paste starts to form. With motor running, add olive oil; and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add all but about 2 tablespoons of egg sauce (ravigote) to chopped eggs and gently fold to mix. Stir in parsley.
4. Arrange bread on a work surface. Divide egg mixture among four slices. Top each with arugula and tomato slices. Spread reserved ravigote on remaining four bread slices, and put sandwiches together. Halve and serve.